Buddy Movie Review: The Proposal  

Posted by: ~ames~ in , , , , , ,


Movie description from yahoo movies:

When high-powered book editor Margaret faces deportation to her native Canada, the quick-thinking exec declares that she's actually engaged to her unsuspecting put-upon assistant Andrew, who she's tormented for years. He agrees to participate in the charade, but with a few conditions of his own. The unlikely couple heads to Alaska to meet his quirky family and the always-in-control city girl finds herself in one comedic fish-out-of-water situation after another. With an impromptu wedding in the works and an immigration official on their tails, Margaret and Andrew reluctantly vow to stick to the plan despite the precarious consequences.

So today's movie review is more like a discussion between myself and Isabel. We both got a chance to see this movie and we're both in awe of Ryan Reynolds in all his shirtless glory. LOL

Isabel: So… what did you think of the movie? I thought it was cute and funny. When I saw commercials, I knew I'd netflix it. But what made me go and watch in theater was my MIL describing a shirtless Ryan Reynolds. LOL.

Ames: OMG shirtless Ryan Reynolds totally made this movie for me.

But yeah, he also appears shirtless a few times. And with the towel on....oh my!!

I was going to wait to rent this too because romcoms lately have been really disappointing - but this was really smart and cute.

Isabel: What was your favorite besides the shirtless part?? Oh and by the way, Sandra Bullock looks like she had a nice little body going on. Damn. lol. I'm jealous.

Anyways... other than the shirt part, my favorite scene was probably when she's dancing in the woods with grandma and singing that rap song. ha ha.

Ames: LMAO that part was hilarious! I think had tears coming out of my eyes at that part.

I liked any little scene with Ramone. He's on my show the Office so it was good to see him doing something else that was freaking hilarious. Ramone!!

I got a little thrill in my heart when Ryan goes to New York to get Sandra and he's like 'imagine my surprise when I find myself wifeless' and i was look, here's a man who knows what he wants. I like when he got a bit forceful there.

And every scene where he made her do something for herself, how he kept her on her toes in his natural environment. I liked that.

I also like that the comedy derives from a fish out of water situation - not let's make the lady do something totally embarassing and demeaning (shopaholic, he's just not that into you). Like I said, this was a smart movie.

Isabel: Ramone was funny! I liked how he just kept popping up. lol. waiter, shop keeper, stripper and minister. Ha ha. Funny.

Oh yeah when he said he found himself wifeless... sigh. I'll be your wife Ryan! ha ha. I like in the beginning when he said the latte was like Christmas in a cup. Lmao. Also how everyone in the office would im each other to warn everyone she was coming. Sounds like something we would do at work .

What else did I like… Oh I liked how they didn't try to have the ex step in between Sandra and Ryan. Like when she comes into his room to talk with him.

Ames: Oh yeah! I was just waiting for that cliche to happen. LOL

I loved Gammy - she was just too cute!

And Christmas in a cup - that was just brilliant.

Ryan Reynolds humor is the kind of humor I like - it's sharp.

Isabel: Oh and how they kept throwing the baby maker far away from them. Too funny.

Gammy was funny and cute. I thought for sure the wedding dress would be altered to something contemporary. I liked they kept it the same.

Yeah I just watched him in Just Friends and that movie is funny too. I didn't care for him in waiting.

Was there anything in the movie you didn't like?

Ames: The puppy was cute too! And when the eagle grabbed the puppy? LOL And the baby-maker was its own damn character. Like when Gammy comes into the room at one point and said, “Let’s give the baby-maker a rest tonight.” haha

Ok what I didn’t like- I felt like we didn't see enough of a relationship develop between Ryan and Sandra's characters. It's like she fell in love with him and everyone attached to him - not just him alone. Do you know what I mean? What about you?

Isabel: Oh yeah. I was like… no they are not going to hurt that puppy!!!!

Yeah it was kind of fast they fell in love. I mean... I know there is love at first sight. But how do you go from hating your boss and then loving them just like that. I could understand... caring about that person, liking them. But...i don't know.

Sandra's character.... yeah... now that you mention it, it is like she fell in love with his family. Also... I expected a little more with the ex girlfriend. Not with her trying to come between them. But more of a… i don't know... It's like they threw her in there.

Ames: She was kind of random, the ex-girlfriend.

But yeah, that was the only thing that didn't work for me - just how fast it came together.

Isabel: Yeah I think they could have done without the ex girlfriend. Anything else we forgot to mention?

Ames: I don't think so.

Isabel: so what grade would you give this movie?

Ames: B- you?

Isabel: A B. The shirtless scene. :)

This entry was posted on Tuesday, July 07, 2009 and is filed under , , , , , , . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

4 comments

It was funny and enjoyable, as it should be :D I had a lot of LOL moments, so I'm happy. I agree it would have been better with a little bit more emphasis on their relationship, like when did they both fall in love with each other.

What I didn't like is when Margaret told everyone that the wedding was a sham at the ceremony. I don't know, I would have preferred that they go through it and work from there.

My favorite part? The dog and eagle... LOL, it was just hilarious to see Sandra running around and handing the dog to the eagle LOL :)

This movie looks really cute, but will probably have to wait til video. great review

Dude, I really need to watch this movie. I want to see it, I think it looks cute!

Post a Comment