Venture Brothers  

Posted by: Isabel in , , ,

Last year, my younger brother in law made me watch some episodes of the Venture Brothers. At first I was kind of shocked, but then there I was busting up laughing. Since Venture Brothers is on Adult Swim, I couldn't watch the rest of the episodes. Only because it was on late at night.

Then we got DVR. (Have I mentioned I love my DVR?) Just in time to watch Season 3 (except it didn't record the freaking season 3 finale!) I asked my younger brother in law if we could borrow Season 1 and 2. I'm seriously thinking of buying the seasons after finishing season 1.

From Wikipedia:


The Venture Bros. (alternatively The Venture Brothers) is an American
animated television series airing as part of Adult Swim on Cartoon Network. It
chronicles the adventures of two dopey teenage boys, Hank and Dean Venture,
their emotionally insecure, ethically challenged super-scientist father Dr.
Thaddeus "Rusty" Venture, and the family bodyguard, secret agent Brock Samson.

One of the themes of The Venture Bros. is its multifarious use of
allusion in its dialogue, character design and other facets. The series openly
pays homage to a variety of sources, including adventure serials, pulp
magazines, and many other elements of pop culture; musical references,
television shows, movies, toys, fads, and comic books have all been used for
fodder.

As a co worker explained to me, "It's Johnny Quest grown up. But something gone wrong." Not only do the Venture brothers poke fun at Johnny Quest, they pick on all the old and sometimes new cartoons. Example:

One of the episodes, the Ventures meet the Impossibles. Richard Impossible who is flexible and can stretch out his body. Sally Impossible, whose skin (and only her skin) turns invisible. Cody who bursts into flames when in contact with oxygen. And Ned who is big callus. Sound familiar? Like a deranged version of the Fantastic 4? Yeah.. you should see what they do to the Scooby Doo gang. Funny.

Anyways.... I love this show. More than Family Guy and South Park. The humor isn't raunchy. It's just... sometimes it's just wrong but funny wrong. A little more edgier than Family Guy me thinks.

My favorites Episodes from both Season 1 and 2 are:

The Trial of the Monarch- Only for when Dr. Orpheus says very dramatically: "DO NOT BE HASTY IN ENTERING THIS ROOM (bathroom)! I HAD TACO BELL FOR LUNCH!
Assassinanny 911-Hank running around saying "My pants are haunted" after Molotov gives him CPR, freaking funny.
Love-Bheits
I Know Why the Caged Bird Kills
Viva Los Muertos!
- The Scooby Doo one!

So if you like that kind of humor, check it out on Adult Swim or rent the first two seasons.

This entry was posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 and is filed under , , , . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

0 comments

Post a Comment