Life on Mars - Out Here in the Fields  

Posted by: Mollie in , , ,

Is anyone else watching this new cop/crime drama on ABC? It's on right after Grey's Anatomy. At first I was adamant that I was NOT going to get sucked into another show. I'm watching too many already but when I saw that Jason O'Mara was starring in it. I gave in.

Is anyone else in love with Jason O'Mara? I first saw him when I was watching the BBC series Monarch of the Glen, thought he was super hot. Then he popped up in ABC's Men in Trees, which by the way I'm super bummed they canceled, as Marion's super hot publisher guy, Stuart. Clearly I heart Jason O'Mara, so I knew I'd be sold on Life on Mars. Speaking of the BBC, I just Googled "Life on Mars" and apparently, like so many other series, Life on Mars was a BBC series first. Hm, interesting tid-bit.

Ok, back to the show. So what, you might be wondering, is Life on Mars about? Well, the extremely handsome Jason O'Mara plays NYC police detective Sam Tyler. In this first episode we're introduced to the case Sam is working on with his partner and girlfriend, Maya Daniels, played by Lisa Bonet. They are hunting down a murderer, Colin Raimes, who, due to a somewhat questionable alibi, is released from police custody. Maya, fearing he will kill again, follows Raimes without Sam and turns up missing.

Sam, as you might image, is frantic trying to find her and, in the process, manages to get hit by a car. When he wakes up he's no longer in 2008 but has been mysteriously transported to 1973. Where he is still a detective for the same precinct. Sam, understandably, has some doubts about the reality of his situation but things soon become clear that his trip through time is somehow related to the crime he and Maya were investigating in 2008.

Life on Mars has a great cast in addition to O'Mara and Bonet including Harvey Keitel, Michael Imperioli, and Gretchen Mol.

I was wondering about the name of the show before I saw it, wondering if it was in reference to the time travel or what. When Sam gets hit by the car in 2008 he's listening to David Bowie's hit single "Life on Mars" and when he wakes up in 1973 his ipod has been replaced with an 8 track and it too is playing David Bowie's "Life on Mars".

Aside from Jason O'Mara my other favorite part of the show....??! THE MUSIC. It's got an awesome soundtrack. :)

So, did others watch this? What did you think? If you missed the first episode you can watch it here!

This entry was posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 and is filed under , , , . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

7 comments

I have it recorded. Hopefully i can watch it soon. It looks good but that's all I need is another show to get hooked on.

DO IT! Lol. I want another opinion!!!!

Teena,

I felt like the series premier should have been longer like 2 hours. It's hard to introduce a new series and get all the pertinent information to hook viewers in only an hour.

I felt that way about the new HBO series True Blood as well, I wasn't sure how much I liked it after the first episode but it has just gotten better and better. I hope this series does too. I think it has a lot of potential with the cast and plot.

However, if people saw the first episode and weren't impressed, we're a pretty unforgiving audience, and people may not come back to see whether it gets better or not.......

Isabel - you can also watch it on a widget ABC pushed out this week.
http://liberalvaluesblog.com/?p=5147

Mollie - I loved the show! And Jason O'Mara is great to look at LOL. I also love Harvey Keitel and Michael Imperioli. I expected it to be good, but I didn’t know how good. I did some marketing on the show and have told everyone to watch it and then was relieved that it was so good. It felt movie like with the music that can rival the Forrest Gump soundtrack. Thursday's episode looks awesome! I read that Sam will be listing the 13 possible explanations for how he is stuck in 1973. I think it was a coma in the BBC version, but I am expecting ABC'c version to be different. Be back on Friday to discuss more!

Cassie,

I got the coma/hospital vibe when he flipped out and started yelling because you could hear the medical monitors beeping, the doctors and tall the lights.

I love the music too it really adds a lot to the show. I'm excited to see where they take the show!

Looking forward to seeing some of Sam's theories on how/why he's in 1973!

The BBC's version is much better. The American version has stuck pretty closely to the BBC's version. If you have cable, they sometimes rerun Life on Mars on BBC America. The BBC only ran it for 2 seasons and ended it. Let's hope American t.v. will follow suit. They didn't with The Office.

Post a Comment